Blogs > Nhregister.com's Boys Hoops Run to the Sun

Follow all the nhregister.com coverage of boys high school basketball throughout the state on their way to Mohegan Sun Arena, the site of this year's championship weekend, March 15-16.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Reynolds returns to Wilbur Cross tonight

Returning to coach boys' basketball at East Haven this season was important to Jim Reynolds because it was a chance to coach in his hometown with kids he coached in the town youth league.

But it also meant a guarantee to return to coach against the hallowed program where he got his first varsity job: Wilbur Cross. That first of two regular-season meetings is tonight at 7 in New Haven.
"I have very mixed feelings about it because I had so many great memories there," Reynolds said. "It will be very strange to bring another team in there. I want to get it over with and I don't want to saddle my kids with any stories about me."
Reynolds' path to tonight has been well-documented. won six Southern Connecticut Conference championships en route to a 254-90 career record at Cross. That included two perfect regular seasons (1999-2000 and 2007-08) and a trip to the Class L state championship game in 2003. He was the Register's Area Coach of the Year for both 2003 and 2004.
The Governors went 24-1 in 2006-07, his final season, losing in the Class L state quarterfinals. A disagreement with his superiors on the direction of the program led to Reynolds; resignation. Just days later, he took the head job at Guilford.
"I am disappointed that it all happened because I thought I would be at Cross for 20 years," Reynolds said. "But I moved forward, enjoyed Guilford thoroughly and now, I enjoy coaching at East Haven."
Now the Yellowjackets come in with a 2-4 record and off a 56-53 win at Cheshire. They will face a hot Cross, team, which has won its last three.
Reynolds coached almost all of the current contributors on Anthony Hill's squad, which may make for some emotional moments during the pregame handshakes.
"What Jim did in 14 years, I just hope to even try to match that success," Hill said. "It's going to be emotional especially for my seniors."
Reynolds did watch Cross play in the Vanguard Class back on Dec. 26 - his first trip back to Cross since resigning.
"It felt strange to watch other people coach from the sideline I coached," Reynolds said. "But so many people came up to me that day and were very nice. I'm sure it will be nice again (tonight)."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home